Monday, October 27, 2008

W9T2: Difficulties I have in writing in EG1471

W9T2: Difficulties I have in writing in EG1471


Up to now the main difficulty I have had in writing is that I cannot express my ideas clearly. When I write the essays, I always think the sentences in Chinese way then translate them into English. This bad habit makes the sentences’ structures are very strange. That causes I cannot express my ideas properly and people cannot understand me. In addition, I always misuse some words such as “consequence” and “sequence”. It causes readers’ confusion. Moreover, sometimes, I want to express too many ideas in one sentence. However, I cannot handle it, which makes the essay very complicated.



In order to resolve this difficulty, I set a learning plan. This plan has three parts. The first part is reading. The best way to write a good essay is reading. I will read all kinds of good articles, such as academic essays, scientific report and news. In this way, I can get a lot of useful information, such as the good structures of sentences, the proper use of the words and so on. The second part is practicing. When I was in secondary school, my teacher had said that if I want to improve my writing skills, I should write regularly. Hence, doing more writing practice cannot only help me improve my writing skills, but also can help me find the problems of my writings. I think keeping a diary is a good and rapid way to improve my writing skills. I can record a lot of writing material as well. The third part is peer-review. Sometimes, the problems in our essays are not easy to be discovered by ourselves. We need others’ help. Sometimes, people are more sensitive to others’ shortages. We need them to figure out the shortages of our essays. And we need others’ suggestion to make the essays more perfect. 



I believe that if I can carry on this plan for half year at least, my writing skills will have a big progress. 

4 comments:

Bai Yimeng said...

yea i think we all like to translate chinese directly into english so that we sometimes express ourselves in a wrong way. also, i think vocabulary is an important factor in writing. anyway, let's improve our writing! though it is tough...

Unknown said...

I think most of our Chinese students have the same problem in writing, which is translating some sentences directly from Chinese and misusing some words. Your opinions about how to improve your writing is really helpful and important. We should really go after your three suggestions in order to truly make a progress. This portfolio is well expressed and well organized. But I can tell from your words that you were a bit rushing when you wrote your essay ha. There are some grammar mistakes, just like the sentence “This bad habit makes the sentences’ structures are very strange.” I think the word “are” should be removed here. We are easy to make mistakes when we write fast. However, in the exam, we also need to finish an essay in a short time. Hence, I think we should start to practice more and be more careful. Let’s try together from the next portfolio,Ok?

Yilin said...

I cannot agree more. It seems still a long way to go to improve my English to University level...

Yew Siong said...

Not only Chinese students, Malaysian students also have a lot of difficulties in English writing. Since we are not native English speaker, it is quite a tough way for us to master English writing skill.However, as a saying,'Where there is a will, there is a way',I believe we can manage English writing skill soon.^^